Friday, February 5, 2016

The Children's Book: Love Thy Fro by Casey Elisha

Ismail oubarka | 2:00 PM


Freya is loving the latest edition to her library,  Love Thy Fro written by Casey Elisha and beautifully illustrated by Aliecee Cummings. Love Thy Fro is the story of Kemi who loves hers beautiful afro hair. Aimed at 5-8 year olds this both is simple yet has a wonderful message. great to read and reference to children of all ages.



I don't want to give too much away but Love Thy Fro followed Kemi and her fro from washing to styling with interactive elements that get your child think about their own  beautiful hair. This book is a great edition to any child's book shelf counteracting the 'Elsa Effect' and giving children of colour some much needed representation.



The illustration is timeless, bright and engaging, I've been using this book to prompt Freya to sit a have her hair done, it's not her favourite past time however Kemi and her hairstyles has helped to style Freya's hair is more than just a bun or an Elsa braid! This is a really important book for children to have I definitely recommend it. 



A WORD FROM THE AUTHOR


"My decision to write Love Thy Fro was a very random one stemming from my realisation that, if I were to become a mother to a daughter anytime soon, I would have a really hard time teaching her to be comfortable in her own skin due to the images of beauty that society constantly throws at us. I wanted my future daughters to know and appreciate their unique beauty, so I chose to create something that I felt would help show them this.

As well as being a message to every single little girl out there that feels she's different or doesn't meet the media's definition of beauty, I wrote this book as a message to my younger self. To let her know that it's okay to have hair that's not quite as silky straight as the next little girl, and that this hair is a blessing rather than a burden.

I hope that your daughters, nieces, little cousins and sisters can see themselves in Kemi as they learn to love their fros!"

Love Thy Fro is available here



from Natural Belle http://ift.tt/1T3yiPP

No comments:

Post a Comment

hair ideas © 2013. All Rights Reserved | Powered by-Blogger

Designed by-Windroidclub