Thursday, August 21, 2014

Ginny // Multi-Texture Style Icon

Ismail oubarka | 11:30 PM

Introduce yourself!
G:
 My name is Ginny, also known as FrogirlGinny. I am from London, but I am half English and half Zimbabwean. I love Africa and I express this love in my style, my natural hair, and my personality.
Ginny // Multi-Texture Style Icon
Ginny // Multi-Texture Style Icon

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
G:
 I have rocked this mane freely and happily since August 2009. It wasn’t until three years later when I began to feel comfortable with having wild hair. I had been relaxing my hair since I was around four because my Mum could not comb through it without me crying or screaming. Flipping through old pictures I saw this beautiful hair I used to have, so after days of nagging my Mum to help me; she advised the big chop.
How would you describe your texture?
G:
 I have a mixture of different curl patterns. One of the things I love about my hair. The front of it has 4a and 3c curls whereas the top of my head has 3a and 2c curls, and the back/bottom 3b. My hair is very big and thick, so detangling it is very tiring because there is so much hair for my fingers to go through. When my hair is wet, it appears to be very thin and flat, but once it’s dry it does its own thing!
Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
G:
 I have stopped using shampoos and now co-wash or use Deva Curl No Poo. I have noticed a big difference as my hair feels more hydrated and moisturised. I deep condition using Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner and I condition with Deva Curl One Condition. It all depends on what I feel my hair needs on wash day. Since I wash my hair once every 7/10 days, conditioning is important to keep it moisturised, otherwise it will resemble a mop by day 4. In the winter I add olive oil to my deep conditioner just so my hair is extra protected. I then style my hair with Mixed Chicks Leave-In Conditioner. I have used it for two years now and it is amazing! I also use Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and sometimes I do the twisting method if I have the energy! Every morning I spray my hair with Deva Curl Set It Free Moisture Lock or apply some coconut oil.

http://1hairideas.blogspot.com/
What does wash day look like for you?
G:
 Wash day is always on a day which I am not going out on, as if I am going out I have to diffuse it so I do not get sick, and the results from diffusing aren’t as nice as naturally air drying. I wash with Deva Curl No-Poo, finger detangle with Deva Curl One Condition, then I add Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner just to give it all those oils full of goodness! I do not towel dry, so I have to suffer with my hair dripping everywhere. I claw the Mixed Chicks Leave-In Conditioner through in four sections then I scrunch in the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. Lastly I tip my head upside down, shake, and leave it. I do not touch my hair when it is wet as this creates frizz.
Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
G:
 My favourite go to hairstyle is either my hair tied in a big bun or I pin the side and add my big African earrings. My easiest hairstyle is my Afro. It doesn’t give me bad or gloomy days. I just take it out of the pineapple style every morning, shake and fluff, then pick it with an Afro comb. That’s it!
How do you combat shrinkage?
G:
 I do not have a problem with shrinkage. If you do not get it then it is a sign your hair is damaged, as it’s a good thing for your curls to be defined. I prefer having healthy hair than long hair, so it’s not something I worry about. But if people do want to have longer hair then picking it with an Afro comb helps, as it gives you shape but also adds an effect of longer hair.
Tell us about your hair color?
G:
 My natural hair colour is a dark brown, however I wanted light brown highlights just to jazz it up. I put light brown dye on different strands of my hair around eight months ago, giving an effect of being a more natural hair colour. I used Dark & Lovely hair dye, as it isn’t as damaging as other dyes. It did not have an effect on my hair besides the expected colour and I always deep condition my hair and trim after dying just to protect it against damage.
What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
G:
 Strangely as this part is always protected by the pineapple method, the back of my hair tends to be more “rough” than the rest of my hair, so I have to add a little more product to it than the rest.
What are 2 do’s for your texture?
G:
 Moisture, moisture and more moisture. If I did not moisturise my hair I would have split ends and knots, so it is vital that I put coconut oil on my scalp once every three to four days, or apply a moisture spray every morning.

Definitely a good trim helps with your shape and growth. I am my own hairdresser so it’s so easy for me to snip when I know some ends need to go, but for others it is so important to find a stylist that will listen to your needs and also think for the future of your hair.
What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
G:
 Heat always leaves my hair looking dull or it completely changes the look of my curls, so I am on a one-year heat ban! It has been 6 months so far and it is making a huge difference.
Sleeping with a normal pillowcase dries out my hair so badly, so I have to sleep with asatin pillowcase!

No comments:

Post a Comment

hair ideas © 2013. All Rights Reserved | Powered by-Blogger

Designed by-Windroidclub