Monday, October 20, 2014

Four Reasons I Would Never Texturize My Natural Hair

Ismail oubarka | 8:14 AM


I love my natural hair…period. I love the texture, color, versatility and unpredictability it
offers me daily and that even means on the so-called ‘bad hair days’. I am a natural of almost a decade and although the journey has had several ups and downs the path is paved with positivity and rainbows as far as I am concerned.

That is why I would never get a texturizer in my hair and find them unnecessary as well as detrimental to my natural hair journey. No judgement on anyone who has thought about it, tried it or who happens to be rocking one right now. Your path is yours and mine is mine so how we choose to get to healthy hair is ours to take. I get and respect that. I am Just sharing what I would never do.


Four Reasons I Would Never Texturize My Natural Hair
Four Reasons I Would Never Texturize My Natural Hair

Often, smart people say, “Never say never”, because our truth is fluid. What may be our truth one day, month or year may drastically change with the right circumstances or one may just feel differently about the same topic later in life. It is also hard to determine just what you might do in the perfect storm that will alter your way of thinking.
Too many variables to say such a statement and mean it but at my present state I fully believe I will never texturize my hair. I’ve complied a list on why the thought texturizing my hair is not only ridiculous (for me) but downright impossible:

Unpredictable results
The bottom-line is texturizers are unpredictable. There are clear differences between relaxers and texturizers and many are unaware of this and make bad decisions as a result. “Relaxers are typically left on the hair anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes, while texturizers shouldn’t be left on for more than five to 10.” That is a really short amount of time so you should work fast and for the desired result you must adhere to the time.
The purpose of the two are very different as well. Relaxers are meant to straighten the curl whereas texturizers are meant to remove only some of the curl. Now, how can you properly determine just how much will be removed? You just cannot and that is the biggest problem with them.

Often, naturals who try texturizers end up with some coily hairs with straight hairs and the overall evenness they had of texture is gone. There needs to be constant conditioning and protein treatments and applying heat is not a good idea because of this.
Just like relaxers, touch-ups are necessary and the end result may not mirror the previous results you have had. If I am going to go through all that trouble, I might as well relax my hair and know exactly what I am getting. Since I do not want nor desire bone straight hair this seems like a bad idea for me.

I steer clear of texture altering chemicals
After using chemicals to alter my hair for so long (22 years to be exact) the thought of going back seems pointless. I’ve always wanted curly hair! Always…and naturally I have tight coils and curls that make me happy so why fool around with a texturizer that may mess it all up?
I may be a tad bit paranoid, but I feel I have tempted fate long enough and fooling with any texture altering chemicals now will only cause me more harm than good.
I color my hair and use products without ammonia or sulfates and it hasn’t altered the texture of my hair. I am thankful for that as I love my texture so why mess with it?
Trying to live a more natural lifestyle
I am. Well, I try anyway by eating better and exercising. I drink a green smoothie every morning (spinach, kale, uncooked oatmeal, fruit, coconut water and flaxseed) to start my day and I am working on eating better all around.
The exercise is not consistent, but as I embark on a healthier lifestyle, it only makes sense to have healthier hair. My hair has never been more healthy than it is right now and by going natural, using (mostly) all natural products I feel I am doing my hair and body a huge favor.

I’m growing older
I’m older than most of you running around here are and I’m OK with that. I’m not OK with all the older women I continue to see with thinning hair. Mindy Goldstein, Ph.D., former president of the Society of Cosmetic Chemists, “The follicles in aging hair are smaller and have less pigment,” she explains. “So the thick, coarse hair of a young adult eventually becomes thin, fine, light-colored hair.” Oprah.com
Most women will experience hair thinning at one time or another and one of the effects of getting old or older is thinning hair along with graying hair. Add all the years of chemical torture I put my hair through and you can see why I feel the need to steer clear of fooling with texture altering chemicals like texturizers and relaxers.

Loving my natural tresses
It was a long hard road to becoming natural at 35 and the thought of abandoning the lovely tresses I now treasure by adding a texturizer is unthinkable. I love my natural hair and what it does. I have more freedom and I have coils and curls and honestly, that’s all I ever really wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hair ideas © 2013. All Rights Reserved | Powered by-Blogger

Designed by-Windroidclub