Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Mildred from New Jersey // Silver Natural Style Icon

Ismail oubarka | 8:43 AM

Mildred from New Jersey // Silver Natural Style Icon
Mildred from New Jersey // Silver Natural Style Icon

What is your Name / Where are you from?
M: My name is Mildred also known as Natural Silver Sista, and I was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY.   I currently live in Northern NJ.
Did you transition or big chop? Share your natural hair journey with us! Be sure to include how long you’ve been natural, and why you chose to go natural.
M: When I decided to go natural I did a Big Chop, but it wasn’t much of a big deal because I was wearing a short tapered style. I actually did my very first big chop during Summer 2002, when I decided to stop dyeing my hair and embraced my natural hair color. I sported a caesar that summer and then a texturizer until I decided to go back to a regular relaxer, later that year.
I was inspired to do this Big Chop after attending The Brooklyn Natural Hair Mixer in NY with my daughter in February 2012. Although she wasn’t natural (she’s currently transitioning – Aug 2014), she was attending as a vendor, and I came along to assist her. While attending this event I was really impressed by the versatility of natural hair. I saw so many young ladies with such beautiful natural hair in a variety of styles, textures, and lengths. It was then that I decided to go natural, and did my chop in two stages. I cut half of my relaxed hair off in March then the other half off in April 2012.
How would you describe your texture (is it predominantly 3a, 3b or 3c / 4a, 4b, or 4c, and how does it behave, are your strands fine or coarse, is your hair thin or dense, etc.)?  
M: I think my hair texture is a mix of 3C to 4B/C. The nape area is curly like 3C and moving towards the front it’s a mixture of curls and coils 3C to 4B. The very front edges, just above my ears, where my hair is predominately white, is more like 4B/C.
Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month, and the rationale behind your various styling decisions. (Include the products you use)
M: I’m all about the wash & go! I prefer the wash & go because it’s quick and easy for me, requires the least amount of drying time and very low to no bedtime maintenance required. I co-wash once a week; always on the weekend because I like my hair to look fresh for church on Sunday. If I have an event, special occasion or if my scalp is sweaty from working out, I’ll co-wash twice in the week. I shampoo and deep condition about once a month. My staple wash & go products are Suave Naturals Conditioner Tropical Coconut, for my co-wash, 100% pure unrefined coconut oil to seal, Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie for moisture and shine, and Eco Styler Krystal Clear Gel for hold. I switch between LOC method (Liquid, Oil, Cream) and LCO (Liquid, Cream, Oil) method. When I use a leave-in it’s usually Kinky-Curly Knot Today.
What does wash day look like for you? (Include the products you use)
M: Wash day… If I’m going to shampoo these are the steps I follow:
Divide hair into 4 or 7 sections (3 in front and 4 in back)
Apply Coconut Oil to dry hair
Cover with plastic cap and sit under dryer for about 15-20 min.
Apply Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut Conditioner to finger detangle
Rinse well with warm water
Cleanse with Shea Moisture Moisture Retention Shampoo or CURLS Creamy Curl Cleanser
Condition with Shea Moisture Moisture Retention Conditioner or CURLS Coconut Curlada
Next is the LOC or LCO method

M: L (Leave-in) Apply Kinky-Curly Knot Today to soaking wet hair
O (Oil) Apply 100% Pure Coconut Oil to seal in moisture
C (Cream) Apply Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie to small sections while smoothing and stretching hair with fingers.
Apply Eco Styler Krystal Clear Gel same as above, to set curls
Spritz with cold water and LIGHTLY shake to separate curls
Sit under hood dryer until semi dry, complete by air drying or use blow dryerw/diffuser.
Fluff from roots with a pick or use blow dryer w/o attachments.

Mildred from New Jersey // Silver Natural Style Icon
Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.

M: My go-to hairstyle when there’s not enough time or no need for a fresh wash & go before the end of the week is a high puff.
How do you combat shrinkage?
M: I don’t mind the shrinkage; I’ve embraced it. I actually prefer a little frizz and shrinkage. When I want my hair to look a little bigger, I stretch it using a warm blow dryer at the roots. But I don’t do that too often.
Tell us about your hair color!
M: I have #NaturalSilverHair; #NoDyeNoLye… I don’t color my hair nor do I use any products to enhance the color.
What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require extra care and attention?
M: My problem areas are in the very front (edges just above my ears) where my hair is predominately white. That area is very porous, and sometimes can look a little cottony. It’s sometimes uncooperative, unruly and disrespectful! This section usually requires a little extra attention, extra moisture, and extra cream or gel. And since it’s porous, it can easily pick up the color of hair products, which is why I avoid products with deep, dark or added color.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
M: Keep moisturized. Seal with a light oil. My hair loves coconut oil.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
M: No heavy oils. No products with artificial color or deep/dark natural color like EVOO. These discolor my hair as it is very porous in areas.
Is there a blog/webpage or social media account where we can find you?
Launching Fall 2014:

No comments:

Post a Comment

hair ideas © 2013. All Rights Reserved | Powered by-Blogger

Designed by-Windroidclub