Thursday, October 2, 2014

True Life: I’m a Type 4 Natural and I Don’t Use Shower Caps

Ismail oubarka | 5:22 PM
 
There was a time when I wouldn’t dare get in the shower without a plastic cap or bag covering my hair. Unless it was wash day, I tried my best to avoid getting my hair wet. However, I’ve recently found that covering my hair with a plastic cap during showers is no longer a priority. Nowadays, for the most part, I simply get in the shower with my hair in a loose ponytail or bun, or I cover it with a satin bonnet.
I’m a Type 4 Natural and I Don’t Use Shower Caps

Why do I do this? Well, for a while I had to use 2 or 3 shower caps to cover my head because I could not find a shower cap big enough to cover all of my hair. When I finally found one that was big enough to cover my hair entirely, I found it a bit tedious to wear because of the thick, heavy plastic material it was made from. So, over time, I stopped using it. I thought about trying other shower caps, but I decided to go for a simpler option: no shower caps at all.
These days, when I’m not too worried about preserving the definition of my hairstyle, I simply get in the shower with my hair in a loose ponytail or bun. I have even taken showers with my hair completely loose. At other times, my hair will be ‘protected’ by my satin bonnet, especially if my hair is prepped for a braid out or twist out. You’re probably thinking, “doesn’t this ruin your hair do?” Not really. I have found that even if I have a braid out or twist out, getting in the shower without a shower cap does not affect my results.
I’m a Type 4 Natural and I Don’t Use Shower Caps

Water is the best moisturizer for natural hair, so I believe that every time I get in the shower, my hair benefits from the steam by increasing moisture. It works even better when I immediately follow up with my usual hair moisturizer and sealant after my shower. So, no shower caps for me unless absolutely necessary (for instance, if I flat iron, etc.)

How do you protect your hair in the shower? Do you use shower caps or do you go without?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hair ideas © 2013. All Rights Reserved | Powered by-Blogger

Designed by-Windroidclub