Friday, May 8, 2015

New York Times: ‘A Conversation About Growing Up Black’

Ismail oubarka | 6:42 AM
Forewords words: TK Quann (aka TK Wonder)

“It’s kind of upsetting because we live in a world where my mom has to be afraid when I walk outside from the people who are meant to protect me.”

6

This quote is from a young black man featured in a short documentary, ‘A Conversation About Growing Up Black,’ directed and produced by Joe Brewster and Perri Peltz on the New York Times. Watch as young black men and boys discuss the obstacles they face growing up in America. They are not the stereotypes perpetuated in today’s society of the black male under police radar. The hardened thug that causes women to clutch purses in trepidation and cross the street in cheetah like strides. These young boys and men are intelligent, articulate, insightful and thoughtful.

9 2 3
“My parents taught me, oh you know cops are your friends. You know they’re here to protect you…but all I’m seeing is the opposite. How can I not be afraid when I feel like I’m being hunted. When I feel like I’m there to fill a quota.”
5
It is the color of their skin that perpetuates a stereotype that breeds life into some officers reasoning for targeting black men. Their reasoning convincing others that rationale exist in their choices and therefore coerced rationality is spread quicker than wildfire amongst those who endeavor to justify the actions of these officers.
Rationality: The men targeted must be criminals.

8
Rationality: Well they probably were somewhere they shouldn’t be.
7
Rationality: They must have done something wrong. I mean they must be culpable. Surely the police would not stop them if they were truly innocuous. Surely the police would not harangue them purely because of the color of their skin?

4
I ask you to view this documentary. Listen to these young black men and boys discuss the color of their skin as an inherent problem in the way they are perceived by others and those who are meant to protect and serve. Then ask yourself what is the rationality behind that.
via: New York Times
Imagine strangers crossing the street to avoid you, imagine the police arbitrarily stopping you, imagine knowing people fear you because of the color of your skin. Many of this country’s young black men and boys don’t have to imagine.” - Joe Brewster and Perri Peltz




from Urban Bush Babes http://ift.tt/1ImfiXK

No comments:

Post a Comment

hair ideas © 2013. All Rights Reserved | Powered by-Blogger

Designed by-Windroidclub