Saturday, February 6, 2016

Vogue: How One of Berlin’s Coolest Women Is Reworking the 9-to-5 Dress Code; Alyse Archer-Coité

Ismail oubarka | 4:23 PM

One my dearest friends, Editor in Chief of arts & culture publication, ‘MAKER’ and the new Director of Programming at BMW group; Alyse Archer-Coité is currently featured on vogue.com for their story on ‘How One of Berlin’s Coolest Women Is Reworking the 9-to-5 Dress Code’…and unequivocally Archer-Coité does just that. Scroll below for a sneak peek on Vogue.com’s story on one of the coolest and fashionable women I know.
 
 
via: vogue.com
by: Marjon Carlos
photographer: Robbie Lawerence

 
The connection between Berlin and New York has been deepening for some time now, what with the two city’s most creative denizens traveling back and forth between the respective cultural capitals. Which is perhaps why what began as a spontaneous move from the Big Apple to Germany’s capital for editor and art world figure Alyse Archer-Coité turned out to be a seamless transition. After rerouting a trip to Istanbul, Archer-Coité found herself interviewing for and taking on the role as international interview publication Freunde von Freunden’s new content editor.
 
Not only did Archer-Coité’s polished personal style fit right in with the city’s sleek, pared-down aesthetic, it was a logical next career move, allowing her to apply her Sotheby’s art auction house background. Jet-setting between the cities, at the moment she’s in New York to tackle a new project with BMW/Mini Business Innovation. Here, Archer-Coité reveals what Berlin 9-to-5 dressing looks like (it’s not as stiff as one would think!), how her personal style has evolved (from resembling a Young Republican to looking like a Young Black Panther), and how the perfect working ensemble requires a sick pair of slacks.
 
 
Art History Beginnings
I had great knowledge retention as a child; my mom would call me her “encyclopedia.” I loved knowing things: their origins, their etymology, their inventors, the years things were made, what they were made of. That curiosity led me to art history. I loved being able to see something beautiful and not having to leave it at that, being encouraged to figure out who made it, who owned it first, and how it found itself in your office. That sort of History Detectives quality really attracted me to auction house work.

 
I remember a time when there was a J.M.W. Turner up for auction, it had been given to the great-grandparents of the owner by the artist directly, and had been hidden away in an attic for like 90 years. The viewing window was like seven days . . . which meant there was one week for the public to see it before it disappeared into private hands again, potentially forever. That opportunity to experience the work, intimately, sometimes all alone after hours, to really know a piece, even if for only a few days . . . that was part of the magic for me. It changed my life and forever influenced my interaction with art.
 
9-to-5-alyse-coiter-02
 
Berlin vs. New York City Style
In my experience, Berlin tends to be a little more dressed-down. I can count on one hand how many women I saw wearing heels on a night out on the town. Having said that, I wouldn’t call it casual. The sensibility of Berlin is a style all its own. It fit in with my pre-existing wardrobe perfectly. The women there dress for the dual purpose of looking stylish and getting to work by bike. I really loved the functionality of it all and it’s something I’ll keep with me wherever I’m living. I am a forever fan of The Store at Soho House in Prenzlauer Berg. The clothing is expertly selected, but there is also this insane collection of rare and limited-run magazines, gorgeous specialty furnishings, and one-off design objects. I work from there often when I’m editing, and spend a fair amount of time imagining I live there.

 
9-to-5-alyse-coiter-products-1
 
Work Uniform
I spend a lot of my day researching, which is probably the most fun! I’m looking at who’s changing the conversation around design and architecture, who is challenging staid norms and identifying those disrupters as potential collaborators. I’m reaching out to those individuals and finding new ways to work together. My job is to find intelligent ways to support their practice, either through offering resources or through community-building and knowledge-sharing. I definitely have a work “uniform.” I have these black slacks from Hope that have a subtle dropped crotch and slim fit. I wear them all the time. There is something about a well-tailored pair of slacks that really makes me feel confident and capable. At work, I feel invincible in them. The office can be a high-stress setting, and feeling good in what you are wearing is sometimes half the battle. So whatever your cape is, wear that as often as possible. For me, it’s a sick pair of slacks.

 
9-to-5-alyse-coiter-01

For much more, read the incomplete interview as Archer-Coité further discusses the evolution of her style, shoe game, winter coat selections, accessory heirlooms, her stance on work style aesthetic and where to find her staple pieces at vogue.com



from Urban Bush Babes http://ift.tt/20OtbEy

No comments:

Post a Comment

hair ideas © 2013. All Rights Reserved | Powered by-Blogger

Designed by-Windroidclub