Friday, January 27, 2017

NYC Women’s March: “My Love Will Defeat Your Hate”

Ismail oubarka | 6:32 AM

I know many of us have been feeling quite frustrated with the constant turn of events this week regarding the consistent barrage of executive orders from Trump and his administration. In fact, I am so tired of saying his name this week, I have dubbed him the Harry Potter character, Voldemort; “He Who Must Not Be Named.” Each morning I awake to more unspeakable horrors within our government and foreign policy, as well as a continued travesty of our justice system. As a woman, I deeply disturbed by the reinstatement of the Abortion “Gag Rule”, a reinstatement that comes only one day after the 44th anniversary of the Roe V. Wade Supreme Court ruling, which made abortion legal.
 
The policy bars foreign aid and federal funding for international health organizations mentioning abortion as a family planning option. The Mexico City policy, also known as the global gag rule, was first instated in 1984 by President Ronald Reagan. This not only concerns abortion but cuts on pre-natal checkups, cervical screenings, limited availability to contraception and HIV support programs.
 
In this disheveled state it is hard not to succumb to thoughts of feeling torn apart as a people, in a country that is meant to progressively move forward for ALL colors and creeds, not viciously backpedal towards a state of deterioration…but those who will continue the fight will only allow it to strengthen our resilience, bringing us closer together!
 
On January 21st I attended the Women’s March in New York, I was overwhelmed by the support and unity that was shown for EVERYONE in a place I call home. To highlight this sense of cohesiveness, I decided to focus my lenses on the children in attendance, they are pertinent to the hope of a future many of us want to see, and brought such a powerful message and presence to the march and the hope I still have in residing in a country where love will defeat hate.
 
Photos: Cipriana Quann
 
 
*To enlarge click photo
image2

image3

image4

image5

image7

image8

image10

image6

image1



from Urban Bush Babes http://ift.tt/2jmhFj3

No comments:

Post a Comment

hair ideas © 2013. All Rights Reserved | Powered by-Blogger

Designed by-Windroidclub