Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Robin // 3C Natural Hair Style Icon

Ismail oubarka | 1:46 PM
Robin // 3C Natural Hair Style Icon - http://1hairideas.blogspot.com/
 
Introduce yourself!
R:
 My name is Robin. I grew up in Pennsylvania. I live a healthy lifestyle and fitness, nutrition and hair care are my 3 passions. In January of 2010, I made a decision to start taking care of my natural hair and I started a Healthy Hair Journey/Waist Length Hair Challenge. My hair length was shoulder length at that point. In December of 2012, I achieved my goal of waist length hair (so it took me 3 years). My current hair length goal is hip length hair.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
R:
 I transitioned from relaxed to natural at the recommendation of my hair stylist. I was getting relaxers and lots of highlights. My hair was becoming very weak. My stylist said eliminating some of the chemicals I put in my hair would help to make my hair stronger. So I transitioned. Honestly, when I was transitioning to natural, I was still going to a salon getting my hair blown out and flat ironed every week. Not until January 2010 did I start truly concerning myself with ‘hair care’. I’ve been natural for a little more than 10 years.
How would you describe your texture?
R:
 Mostly 3C with some 4A in the front. A mix of fine and coarse strands.
Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
R:
 90% of the time I wear my hair in protective styles such as two plaits, French braids, braid out loose buns and half wigs. Throughout the week, I re-moisturize my ends as needed. I sleep with a satin scarf or bonnet at night. I put direct heat on my hair about once every 3 months, getting a blow out and flat iron. On a daily basis, I drink about a gallon of water a day, eat well balanced meals and take a multi-vitamin.

Robin // 3C Natural Hair Style Icon - http://1hairideas.blogspot.com/
What does wash day look like for you?
R:
 I shampoo and deep condition my hair once a week. I begin the process by detangling my hair with my Tangle Tamer hairbrush. Next, I pre-poo with extra virgin olive oil and sit under a hooded dryer with a plastic cap for about 15 minutes. After that I shampoo my hair with Giovanni 50/50 Balanced Clarifying Shampoo. Rinse. Then I deep condition with Giovanni Deeper Moisture Conditioner while sitting under the hooded dryer with a plastic cap for about 20-30 minutes. Rinse. Lastly, I detangle and moisturize.
Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
R:
 At the moment, a part down the center of my head with my hair in two plaits is my fave quick hairstyle. (Honorable mention to a braid out high loose bun or a half wig).
How do you combat shrinkage?
R:
 I have serious shrinkage. But I don’t really worry about it or try to combat it. I just let my hair do its thing.
What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
R:
 It took me about a year to find a regimen that my hair responded well to. One consistent issue I have is trying to get that 4A section of hair in the front to lay down. My hair usually does well the 1st couple of days after wash day. But after that, it’s still a real challenge. I’ve tried 20 different gels. The only ones that seem to work make my hair very hard, which I don’t like. Also, I work out 5 days a week and I’m sure that contributes to my struggle with that section of my hair.
What are 2 do’s for your texture?
R:
 For me, deep conditioning and moisturizing throughout the week as needed has shown remarkable results.
What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
R:
 Excessive combing or manipulation of my hair can be detrimental to retaining length.
Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
R:
 Currently, I can be found on Instagram @msrobin_nella. I just joined in April 2013. I post daily and I’m all about fitness, eating healthy, healthy hair tips, positivity and empowering women. Check me out! I have a lot of exciting things in the works. I’ll be showing up on other forms of social media very soon. So stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

hair ideas © 2013. All Rights Reserved | Powered by-Blogger

Designed by-Windroidclub