Friday, August 15, 2014

Tasha // Natural Hair Style Icon

Ismail oubarka | 2:07 PM
by 
Tasha // Natural Hair Style Icon - http://1hairideas.blogspot.com/
Introduce yourself!
T:
 Hi! My name is Tasha and I’m from Louisiana.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
T:
 I have been natural for 34 months. May 2013 will make 3 years. I transitioned for 5 months. I went natural because the relaxers were taking my hair out! My edges and crown were thinning! Was not a cute look! I made the best decision of my life to go natural! I’m almost bra strap length when stretched/flat ironed. My hair is healthy, shiny, and long!
How would you describe your texture?
T:
 I don’t like using the hair typing system because my hair is full of textures 3c/4a (waves, s-curls, zig zags, coils, lightening bolts (haha) and kinks. I have normal/thick hair with fine strands.
Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
T:
 I mainly wear my hair in twist outs because my hair hearts them! After washing my hair, I ALWAYS put it in medium twists. I like to use Oyin Handmade products. I apply theHair Dew first, then my castor/extra virgin olive oil mix, then Oyin’s Whipped Pudding to seal in the moisture. I make sure each section is detangled thoroughly before twisting using my wide-tooth comb, followed by my Denman brush. I twist tight to create long lasting curl definition. In the summer, I like to use just a leave in conditioner and oil. My favorite leave-ins are Giovanni Direct Leave-in, Cantu Shea Butter Repair Cream, andOyin Hair Dew. My favorite oils are castor, extra virgin olive, coconut, grape seed, andtea tree. Lavender is great too!
Throughout the week I wear my hair hanging all down, a bun, pony puff, or whatever I come up with at the last minute! You know how that is! I experiment with flat twists, braid-outs, and bantu knots. My styles are quick and simple. Twist-outs are a great low manipulation style where I can retain length and have fun at the same time. At night I will either re-twist in larger twists and moisturize if needed (dampen with water and apply an oil and/or moisturizer (Nourish & Shine is excellent for this), put my hair in a low or high bun with extra virgin olive oil, or a banded ponytail. I have a YouTube video on it called “Bands Will Make It Stretch” It’s a stretching on the go technique I like to use to stretch my twist outs. I don’t comb my hair through the week. When I re-twist at night, I finger detangle and remove the shed hairs. This helps my hair from tangling.

Tasha // Natural Hair Style Icon - http://1hairideas.blogspot.com/
What does wash day look like for you?
T:
 My Wash day-Weekly regimen in 5 steps:
Step 1: Hot oil treatment with extra virgin olive oil. Dampen hair first, apply oil, then put on a plastic cap with a towel on top. I let it sit for about 30 minutes. Sometimes hours if I’m being lazy! This is the step where I remove shed hairs/knots/tangles.
Step 2: Wash hair in 2 sections (shower or sink). Wash scalp with finger pads and squeeze shampoo down hair shaft. I have started using shampoos 1 time a month and co-washing (using a conditioner to wash my hair) in between. My favorite shampoos areGiovanni Smooth As Silk Deep Moisture and Herbal Essences Hello Hydration. I like to use a sulfate shampoo to wash out mineral oil/petroleum based products and a sulfate-free poo to wash out natural products. Keeps my hair clean and from drying out.
Step 3: Apply conditioner. I do a little finger detangling then put my hair in large twists to keep from tangling back up during the rinse out process. I use Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Giovanni Smooth As Silk Deeper Moisture or Carol’s Daughter Tui Conditioner.
Step 4. Apply deep conditioner. Apply product with my twists still in. Put on a plastic cap, then towel on top, and let it sit for about 30 minutes. I’m obsessed with Carol’s Daughter Monoi Repair. Also, I like to make my own DC using a cheapie conditioner, my favorite oils, and honey! Great DC on a budget!
Step 5: Style – This is the step where I detangle, moisturize, and put my hair in medium twists for a twist out.
Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
T:
 My go to style when everything fails is a bun or big ol’ puff!
How do you combat shrinkage?
T:
 I don’t worry too much about shrinkage. Keeping my hair in twist outs helps elongate my hair and believe it or not, my hair doesn’t shrink that much because I don’t have tightly coiled hair. I have a video on a stretching technique I use on my YouTube channel “Stretching Hair for a Big Twist Out”.
What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
T:
 My hair is dry…especially my crown! I combat this by conditioning on the regular and moisturizing when needed. Water is my bestie!
What are 2 do’s for your texture?
T:
 I have to have “LOB” Leave ins/Oils/Butters and sleeping with a satin bonnet or hair wrap is a must. It protects the style and keeps my hair from breaking and drying out.
What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
T:
 Wash and Go’s! My hair turns into a tangled mess! Little to no heat! I only use heat whenever I straighten my hair, which is 3-4 times a year. Too much heat is damaging. Also, NO RUSHING!!! Plan a day where you can give your hair the tender, love and care it needs! Rushing can lead to set backs if you are not conditioning and detangling like you should. Take your time. Your hair will thank you in the long run! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

hair ideas © 2013. All Rights Reserved | Powered by-Blogger

Designed by-Windroidclub