Monday, July 21, 2014

FARAH IS NATURALLY GLAM!

Ismail oubarka | 5:45 AM

By: curlynikki
Tell me about yourself!
Hello fellow naturals! My name is Farah, and I am from New York. I'm currently in graduate school at Columbia University School of Social Work. My passion lies in having a career regarding international relations, but along the way I devote myself to promoting the beauty of natural hair, being an open book to those who are curious about natural hair, and being a mini fashionista.





Were you a transitioner or a Big Chopper? What was your journey like?
My mother was the first to transition back to natural after just cutting her permed hair into a cute bob style. She told me about all these famous youtubers she researched and she was ready to go natural. I thought she was crazy for restarting, until she began rocking her cute fro. I transitioned for around a year during my undergraduate career, wearing braid extensions that my mom put in for the first time until spring/summer. It was low maintenance and really allowed me to not have to worry about the differing textures. During the summer, I couldn’t take it anymore and I hacked the perm ends off!

Had you always embraced your texture?
I’ve always loved my hair texture and only permed to try something new for high school.

How did family and friends react to your decision to go natural? What was your response to them?
Everyone loves my natural hair and can’t get enough of it! Those who saw me with a perm and then switch to natural prefer my natural hair. Most of my friends who didn’t know about black hair care were also curious, which I gladly taught them about the stigma behind natural hair, its history and maintenance.

Describe your hair (fine or coarse, thin or thick, highly porous, low, etc.)
My hair is honestly very bipolar! When wet it’s wavy/ringlets, when dry, it straightens and fluffs out (I can never do a wash and go or even have great 2nd day hair). It is fine strands and thick with greater concentrated thickness in the back center of my head.

What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done to your hair?
During school, I decided to add a hair feather to my hair because of a free event. Long story short, to take it out I had to hack off a side of my hair and had a mini freak out because of all hair I just lost!


What’s your biggest hair related regret?
During undergrad, I went to the University of Vermont, and the air was so dry and brittle it caused a lot of hair breakage due to me wanting to wear my hair out all the time. I believe to prevent breakage and to maintain healthy hair I should have worn more protective styles or even braid extensions. I had to do another mini big chop to my hair last year due to all the split ends.

What's your current hair routine? How often do you wash, condition, and style? Favorite products! Deets!
I prepoo, wash, detangle and deep condition once a week using Aussie Moist Conditioner and Shea Moisture Deep Conditioning Masque mixed with a ton of different oils. I am starting to realize my hair loves water more than I thought so when it needs a quick moisture rinse I dunk my head in water and re-moisturize. After I wash my hair I normally stretch it. I began using rollers for stretching and loosely roll them to maintain a stretched but non-straightened look. I use my homemade mango butter to seal and style with Curls Pomeade Passion Fruit Control Paste for hold. I also am currently experimenting with Miss Jessie’s Multicultural Curls since the test run went so well! I usually wear my hair in protective styled updo and wear my hair out only once or twice a week if possible.


What’s your favorite hairstyle? Where do you get hairstyle inspiration?
My favorite style is a 3 strand twist out, it leaves my hair big and fluffy and the definition lasts! I also love mini braids but they are a terror to take out. I am definitely a youtube/instragram/google fiend, so I find and interpret styles from the Internet then alter them to suit me.

Who is your curl crush?
My ultimate curl crush is Napturals85!

How do you maintain your hair at night?
I usually braid my hair up or try to preserve my protective style and sleep with a satin scarf and pillowcase.

How do you maintain healthy length?
I think deep conditioning, incorporating more water rinsing, and low to no maintenance styles have helped.

What's the best thing about being natural?
I love the natural beauty and the unlimited styling that natural hair encompasses as well the unification of communities that have been created for the support of natural hair.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hair ideas © 2013. All Rights Reserved | Powered by-Blogger

Designed by-Windroidclub